Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hibiscus anyone?

Man, I'm so behind. I'd love to update this blog often but just don't get the time I wish I had. So here I am.... rambling.
Firing up the kettle once again this week, this time attempting to use dried Hibiscus to give a basic Pale Ale an extra shot of something different and interesting. The inspiration came from the wonderful Rosée d'hibiscus from Dieu de Ciel brewery located in St. Jermoe, Quebec.
I really like fudging with recipes and homebrewers are at a great advantage when gambling on a 5 gallon batch of beer. My thinking is to brew a tea using dried Hibiscus ahead of time and add it to the primary rather than pitch the dried hibiscus directly into the brew kettle.Providing all goes well this will be a re-do soon.

As for the brewery, I'm finally getting into the garage and beginning the spring cleaning and making room for a semi-permanent set up for all my brew gear. Lugging my mash tun and brew pots up from the basement to the garage each brew day is a pain the ass but the only solution at this time. Fortunately my wonderful better half puts up with a lot of my crap and is all for giving me a designated area to do my brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment