Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

6 months since I've last posted with only 2 brews since then. Nothing I'm proud of but c'est la vie. We don't always get what we want. Yes, I finally got my hands on a new kegerator and tapped my first batch of delicious Dry Stout, but a spiffy double-tap kegerator is nothing but an expensive beer fridge if you ain't pouring a dam thing.

I have no plans to set a New Year's resolution to diet, lose weight, or exercise more. Why bother? Ok, maybe I'll cycle more to keep my prettier, better half happy.

What I really want to do in 2011 is brew more of my own beer, drink more of my own beer, and improve on my own beer. There's a certain pride that comes from serving your own ale. Seeing someone smile and give you an honest, "this is really good" response to a sample of something you dedicated your time, energy, and patience to is quite a feeling.

It's not always easy for me to make time and give my undivided attention to a day of brewing, as easy as that may sound. Everyone wants a piece of the Broke Brewer. My brew day usually consists of 4 to 5 hours, preparing, heating, pouring, boiling, cooling. But I also take that time to really think about I want the beer to taste, look, smell. How can I make a better beer? How can I improve my skills? What can I do in my brew day to be consistent from batch to batch.

I know there's always room for improvement. Hey, that's why I'm the Broke Brewer.


So, no gym memberships to buy. No smoking to quit. It's time to just put that recipe together and fire up the brew kettle.

No comments:

Post a Comment