Saturday, June 5, 2010

Brewday

So... after much thought I decided to get into the blog world. This could either be a wonderful and enjoyable experience or a colossal train wreck. At least I tried damn it!

Since becoming a home brewer, the world of beer and my place in it has changed. Reduced prices and free swag with every purchase was no longer incentive to buy a 2-4. Drinking many bottles of ice-cold brewskies for the sake of getting loaded passed with age. Thinking I was a sophisticated beer drinker because I was drinking a "Premium" beer because it wasn't Molson or Labatt's (to only learn afterwards that the "Premium" is just another brand in the Macro Giant's family).

I owe a lot to my wife and that beautiful Homebrew starters kit from many Christmases ago. Learning how to homebrew was my launching pad to Cascades & Fuggles, 2-Row & Caramel Malts, the local craft brewing scene, fine drinking establishments serving neither "ice cold" nor "lite" beer, the world of Belgian Triples & Doppelbocks, Double IPAs & German Weizen. My appreciation for this beverage from the Gods (or whatever ever deity you chose to worship) all changed when I made my first batch of homebrewed Stout.

Was it any good? Hell no. 1.5 litres of "STOUT" Liquid Malt Extract mixed with 2 cups of sugar and 12 litres of boiling water should never taste good. Had I achieved the glory of a Guinness clone, I never would have started googling HOMEBREWING on the 'net and realize how much I still had to learn (and still learn to this day).

And that's the point of this parking space on the Internet. Learning, sharing, exchanging... I may not have all the answers but damn it, we can sure try to figure it out can't we?

I'm J-Mack, The Brokebrewer

1 comment:

  1. J-Mack, keep on brewing. A great hobby. I have been brewing since 1980 ( all-grain since 1998 ). Everytime I sample a nice and hoppy IPA, a small smile comes to my face. This smile is the same smile I get when I drive by our " Beer Monopoly Store ".

    Cheers,

    Swampale

    ReplyDelete